Since the establishment in 1996, the institution that today is known as the Danish Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong, has offered a diverse list of activities and events for our members. Here is a small sample of our events and milestones.
Danish Chamber History
- Danish Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong (DCC) celebrates 25 years anniversary.
Anita Vogel from Fossil Ltd becomes Chairman of DCC.
- DCC brings the ultra-popular Danish radio program ‘Mads og Monopolet’ to Hong Kong, featuring Danish radio icon Mads Steffensen and his A-team, for a Live evening with the Danish community in Hong Kong discussing life’s dilemmas.
- Thomas Helmig Live in HK.
DCC leads the fight against a proposal in the Danish Parliament to introduce rigid tax laws on Danes living abroad. DCC mobilizes support from the Danish Chamber of Commerce in Denmark, Danish companies with global footprint and Danes around the world to stop the proposal.
- DCC joins the commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Hong Kong. As the WWII unfolded, the Japanese invaded Hong Kong on 8 December 1941. Eight Danish expatriates working in Hong Kong for Danish companies had signed up to join the Hong Kong Volunteer Force. They all joined the fight against the Japanese. The Battle of Hong Kong lasted 18 days as the resistance was quickly overrun by the mighty force of the Japanese Army. The British surrendered Hong Kong to Japan on Christmas Day 25 December 1941. The heroics of the Danish men and their families are brilliantly described in the book "Fighting for two kings" by author Frode Z. Olsen. The book was originally published in Danish with the title "Ikke en jordisk chance".
Thomas Andersen from Hildebrandt International Travel Service Limited becomes Chairman of DCC (serves upto 2021)
- DCC provides members with an opportunity to visit a Maersk Triple-E ship, the world's biggest containership at the time.
Danish actor and comedian Amin Jensen Live in HK with his show "Comedy & Opera".
Danish Rock Band Disneyland After Dark Live in HK.
- DCC offers exclusive visit to Maersk's new Triple-E vessel 'Maersk McKinney Moeller', the world's biggest containership at the time.
Together with the Danish Consulate in Guangzhou, DCC organizes and hosts the first Danish Company Day. A program for local talents in Danish Companies in Hong Kong exposing them to Danish culture and values.
- DCC lends support to 16 Danish students under Copenhagen Business School (CBS)'s GLOBE program, a tri-continent exchange program with Chinese University of Hong Kong and the University of North Carolina, USA.
CBS President Per Holten Andersen visits HK and speaks to DCC members about the challenge Denmark is facing in rebuilding the economy after the Financial Crisis in 2008/2009.
Danish Rock Band TV2 Live in HK.
- Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Crown Princess Mary attend ‘Business of Design Week’ in Hong Kong to promote Danish Design. Danish Chamber of Commerce hosts the Crown Prince Couple at a Gala Dinner together with Innovation Centre Denmark and the Royal Danish Embassy in Beijing.
DCC supports the promotion of iconic Danish brand Georg Jensen’s silverware in Hong Kong at a premium event in IFC.
The Royal Danish Consulate closes its operation in Hong Kong. DCC hosts a meeting for the Danish Community in Hong Kong where Consul General Torben Gettermann explains how the Danish Foreign Service will service Hong Kong after the closure of the Consulate in Hong Kong.
- EU Commissioner for Climate Action, Ms Connie Hedegaard, visits Hong Kong to speak at the event “CLIMATE ACTION IN EUROPE AND HONG KONG”. Hon. Edward Yau, Secretary for Environment, Hong Kong SAR Government also joins the event to share an update on the local Government’s process to “chart the way forward for a Hong Kong as a low carbon city”.
World renowned Danish flutist Michala Petri visits Hong Kong for a recording with City Chamber Orchestra of Hong Kong.
Frank Jensen from Modern Terminals Ltd becomes Chairman of DCC (serves upto 2016)
- Prince Joachim delivers the keynote speech at a HK TDC & DCC co-hosted luncheon to promote trade between Denmark and Hong Kong.
DCC host the annual ‘Danish National Day’, celebrated in Hong Kong on Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark’s birthday in April.
4 performers from the Royal Danish Opera visits Hong Kong.
- In the lead up to the United Nations Climate Conference COP15 meeting in Copenhagen in December 2009, DCC hosted an event with Christine Loh, co-founder and CEO of Civic Exchange, a Hong Kong based non-profit public-policy think tank, and Ciara Shannon from Climate Change Business Forum to talk about activities in Hong Kong and Denmark to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Lunch with Leif Bech Fallesen, Editor in Chief of danish business newspaper Børsen.
- DCC co-organizes a visit to Western Pearl River Delta cities to explore business opportunities for Danish and other international companies based in Hong Kong.
- DCC starts the annual event ‘A night at the races’ offering members an opportunity to enjoy the electrifying experience at the Happy Valley Race Course, one of Hong Kong’s unique experiences.
- Danish writer, actress and comedian Mette Lisby is Live in HK
- Danish Business Association is rebranded Danish Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong.
TV2 performs Live in Hong Kong.
- Jens-Erik Olsen from Eight Ships Limited becomes Chairman of DBA (serves upto 2011)
- Together with the Royal Danish Consulate, Danish Business Association co-organizes a seminar to promote Denmark to local Hong Kong companies titled “Denmark – The Gateway to the New Northern Europe”
- Ole Hybel-Hansen from Aalborg Portland becomes Chairman of DBA (serves upto 2003)
- Lars Lykke Iversen from Santa Fe Relocation becomes Chairman of DBA (serves upto 2001)
- Per Moeller Jensen from SAS becomes Chairman of DBA (serves upto 2000)
- Establishment of Danish Business Association (DBA). Inaugural meeting takes place on 24 April, attended by 49 businesspeople representing 27 Danish and Danish related companies. Registration with the Hong Kong authorities as a Society on 14 June.
Hans Schlaikier takes the helm as the first Chairman of the Danish Business Association.